Thursday, February 7, 2019

Chapter 5. Teaching Practice


1.      Teaching Practice 
      


    
                In Ban Makkhaeng School I as an english teacher was asked to teach Mathayom 3, especially for 3/5, 3/6, 3/7, and 3/8 by the guidance of my mentor,Mrs Kun at school. I conducted my teaching practice in the third week(21 until 25 January). I, at that time, was asked to teach about question tags and prepositions of meovement. I was given 50 minutes in every meeting. When the mentor from Udru, Mr. Nookorn Pathommapas came to my school observing my teaching practice, i was teaching english in Mathayom 3/8 class.  Having given the teaching assessment and my teaching plans i had made formerly to Mr. Nookorn Pathommapas and Mrs. Kun, then, it was my time to do teaching practice. My practicum was started at 9.20 am and would be over at 10.10pm. While doing my practice, i also input game in the learning process to attract the students’ interast. After finishing my practice, Mrs Nookorn Pathommapas and Mrs. Kun uttered some impressions and suggestions of my last performence. All they coneyed was that perfect. According to Mrs. Nookorn, i could creat an interesting class, so that the students were not bored as following ths class. As an addition, under Mrs. Kun’s opinion, what we do as teaching should not always be like what has been written onto the paper, but it is up to the situation. We can be a flexible teacher at any times.    
5.1  Procedures of My Teaching
To do my teaching practice, I employed scientific approach. This approach is the approach i often used in Indonesia. There are opening, whilst devided into observing, asking, exploring, assiciating in the middle of learning process and closing. As i compared with the procedures the Thai teachers used. There were some distictions. In Thai, they have warm up, presentation, practice, production, and wrap up.
5.2  Time Management and Organizing Activities
The First Meeting
Learning Activity
Time Management
a.      Opening

1.      Teacher checks the readiness of the students to study either physically or psychologically.
2.      Teacher explains about the learning activities and the competences that will be achieved.
3.      Teacher gives the illustration of the activities that will be done by the students in learning process.
5 minutes
b.      Whilst
Observing
ü  The students are given the stimulation about preposition of movement materials suitable with the surrounding.
ü  The students are given the opportunity to read the definition and kinds of preposition of movement suitable with the surrounding.
ü  The students observe the instances of preposition of movement suitable with the surrounding.
ü  The teacher plays the video of preposition of movement to strengthen the students’ memorise.
Asking
ü  By the teacher’s guidance,  the students are able to understand the material about preposition of movement
ü  The students comprehend the use of preposition of movement in the daily life.
Exploring                  
ü  By the teacher guidance, the students are asked to fill the columns with suitable answer according to the video provided by the teacher.
ü  The students are also asked to mention the preposition of movement dealing with the illustration in the video having been prepared by the teacher.
Associating                                   
ü  The students are commended to make these blank sentences to be a meaningful sentences using the suitable preposition of movements.
ü  The students are asked to accomplish their task in hurry, thus the one who has the higest score and can answer the question correctly will be given present in the next meeting after the teacher checks the score.
ü  The students are given the opportunity to ask their problems in comprehending the material.

50 Minutes
c.       Closing
ü  The students by the guidance of their teacher take summarize of the material they have learnt.
ü  Teacher utters the learning plan in the next meeting.
5 minutes

5.3  Problem-Solving
The problem i faced as i did my teaching practice was time management. As i told you previously, the time provided in every meeting in thailand is completely different. I usually have 80 minutes to teach my students in indonesia, yet in  Thailand, i was just gotten 50 minutes in every meeting to deliver the material. I was sometimes confused of my teaching management. Nevertheless, By the guidance of my mentor at school, she told me that what we do in our teaching should not always be like what has been written in the lesson plan. We can actually be a flexible according to the situation since occasionally the students come late. We could decrease the sum of excercise we have to suit with the time, and the exercise could be continued in the next meeting, if it is possible to do.
The second problem is language. I often have problem in delivering my purpose oe explaination since i am still unable to speak thai  language well. To solve this problem, i used some video and media to give the illustration to the students.Therefore, they can not only comprehend the materials by my oral explanation but also by the illustration in the videos i showed on the screen. Sometimes body language is very crucial to utter our objective.
5.4  Classroom Management
While doing practice, it can be denied that their boredom and noisy could come everytimes. Because of that reason, i make my teaching not to be monotonous. I provide some games followed by showing video or playing music in order to be able to attract their attention in following the class.
5.5  My Overall impression in Teaching
Teaching abroad is something challeging for me since not everybody has this opportunity. I am also grateful to be able to teach ban makkhaeng students’.It is really useful for me, especially in increasing my teaching ability. Because of this program, i learnt many techniques in controlling the class not only in inonesia but also in the other country.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Farewell Party in Ban Makkhaeng School

January, 28th 2019 The time to run farewell party at Ban Makkhaeng School At that time, Ban Makkhaeng school held a special occasio...